Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wounds from a sincere friend

Most will turn a blind eye to my sins, but I am grateful to God for those friends who pull me aside to help me to look in the mirror to see what I am doing.  They help me stop my ridiculous charge - headlong into destruction.  That is a selfless love.

“Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.”
Proverbs 27.6
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.”
1 Peter 4.8
If it is you being confronted, examine the critique.  Is there any truth to it?  If so, be quick to repent and seek forgiveness.  Be thorough and leave nothing undone.

This accountability is an undervalued role in the Church today.  Dare to love like that.  It may not turn out as you expect, and may, in fact, prove to be a costly choice to you.  Dare to love like that anyway.  Who knows, in doing so, you just might win your brother back!

"Be on your guard!  If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.”  Luke 17:3
“My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.”  James 5.19-20


This accountability is an undervalued role in the Church today.  

It is a crucial role in counseling.  

It is essential in Christian relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment